Epigraph

"[P]oetry makes nothing happen: it survives, / [...] a way of happening, a mouth." -W. H. Auden

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Result of the Police Investigation Is . . . Anybody's Guess

In August, I received the letter below in response to my complaint about the police officer who responded on the scene at the assault I experienced in July. The officer (a) did not file a report and (b) did not interview a witness who was standing with me. (See my earlier posts here and here for more details.)

What the letter indicates is that since this is a "personnel action" no information can be released about the results of the investigation. I have to take it on faith that they did the right thing and took appropriate action. What it boils down to is that the police department has no external accountability for its actions, and the public has to trust that their internal investigations are ethical, just, and sufficient.

This does not instill confidence.


P.S. - Steven is my first name, though I go by Luke. Also, the address is not current.


No comments:

Post a Comment